Thursday, September 13, 2007

Continued Healing

So far, this week has been much better than last week. Everything seems to be getting a little easier. I'm not allowed to lift anything and I have to be careful not to strain my abdominals. My right abdominal region is still sore and swollen, but the incision is healing really well. It's a strange combination of numbness and hypersensitivity around the surgical area.

I am enjoying the cooler weather. Since I am home all day long, it's nice to be able to go outside in the middle of the day without fear of being overcome by heat stroke.

I will return to see my surgeon on September 26th and then to see my oncologist on October 2nd. Hopefully we will be able to plan the next course of action then. Though my surgery was a success and they were able to do the right liver lobectomy, and remove my gall bladder, the surgeon also found a tumor on my pancreas. The surgeon did a biopsy which confirmed melanoma metastasis. Unfortunately pancreatic surgery is very complicated, so the surgeon was not able to operate on both my liver and pancreas at the same time. The hope is that I will be able to have a second surgery in a couple of months to remove the tumor from my pancreas. The surgery would be similar to a Whipple procedure that is done for pancreatic cancer. I don't know whether or not I will have any type of treatment in the meantime.
My focus now is on healing and recovering from the liver surgery so that I can be ready for whatever comes next.
Thanks for continuing to follow my progress and for all of your positive thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Erica

5 comments:

Mary said...

So happy to hear you're bouncing back from surgery - and that the weather is cooperating! We're all sending you much love and prayers for continued strength.

Tricia Spurio said...

Erika!!!! You are my HERO!!! You continue to awe me with your amazing strength and positivity! I love you and am so glad you are in full healing mode post surgery...I am sending lots of light your way from the midwest ;)....

Jill said...

Erica,

So glad to hear that your surgery went well and you're glued back together and on the mend again! Keep up the good work. I wish we were back there to help you out of your boredom. But know that you're in our thoughts.

Love, Jill, Troy and Ella.

Danielle said...

hello my love! i am so glad to hear you are coming along well from that crazy surgery! you have been so strong and positive through this whole thing...and I know you are going to come through all of your other challenges as well. I am sending happy thoughts to your pancreas AND your liver.
lots of love,
Danielle

Susie said...

Erica Joyce! It was so great to catch up on the phone the other day. Abdominal surgery certainly DOESN'T sound like a picnic! I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better with each day and that you're able to get out of the house for walks and fresh air. You still face a long road ahead, but you need to always remember that you've got an incredibly big fan club. We're always behind you, Erica. And we love you with all our might. More importantly, we believe you can fight this and get through this and come out of this with an even crazier head of curls than you started with. Love you more than anything, Susie

Team Erica to Run/Walk with Melanoma International Foundation

A smaller Team Erica will head to Villanova, PA for Melanoma International Foundation's (MIF) Safe in the Sun Walk & 5K Run on April 5, 2009.

MIF will also honor Erica by rewarding the top female finisher with an award in Erica's name. Team Erica will be on hand to congratulate the winner.

Anyone is welcome to join Team Erica. For more information, visit: http://melanomaintl.org/.

Team Erica

Congratulations Team Run for Erica!

Team Run for Erica completed the Baltimore Relay Marathon on Saturday, October 11th. The team raised over $1000 for both melanoma organizations (Melanoma International Foundation and Melanoma Research Foundation).

Thank you Team Run for Erica on an awesome race and thank you to those who donated. Below are a few pictures of the team in action!

Team Run for Erica (minus Omar)

Omar getting ready to run

Mary, Chandra and Liz finish their 6 miles

Star and Christian run for the crowd

Tony and Jaime waving to the crowd

Team Run for Erica after the marathon (minus Jenny and Jaime)

Team Erica to run Baltimore Relay Marathon, October 11th

In Memory of Erica....

Baltimore Relay Marathon
Saturday, October 11, 2008, 8:00 AM
http://www.thebaltimoremarathon.com/

Team Erica relay runners: Christian, Chandra, Jason, Kelly, Jim, Liz, Tony, Mary, Jason, Jenny, Jaime, Omar, and Star are training together Sunday mornings.

What can you do?

Support the team members with lots of encouragement
Make a pledge to a runner or the whole team (donations will be sent to the Melanoma International Foundation)
Go to Baltimore on October 11 to cheer the team on.

Watch the blog for more information to come!!

Erica's Tree @ Upton Hill

Erica's Tree @ Upton Hill
Look how Erica's tree is growing and blooming!

Upton Hill Memorial to Erica

Upton Hill Memorial to Erica
Erica's crepe myrtle tree by the batting cages at Upton Hill Regional Park, Arlington, VA

Plaque dedicating tree in Erica's memory

Plaque dedicating the tree in Erica's memory

A week before admission to Hospice

A week before admission to Hospice
What a beautiful smile!

March 26: Liz, Star, Chandra, Erica and Kelly

March 26: Star, Chandra and Erica

March 12-13: Erica and Christian...check out those smiles!

With Uncle David

Dad, Mom, Erica, Megan, Heather, Chase and Uncle Bill